Sunday, August 10, 2008

LinkedIn is Stupid

LinkedIn used to be a social networking site, but now it's a job networking site. That's not news. I think it's fine to have different networking sites for our different personas, where a person might prefer to keep their personal and professional identities separate. But what bothers me about LinkedIn is the Recommendations. I've read many of these so-called recommendations of people that I know (sometimes either the sender or receiver, and sometimes both) recommending one another, and I'm here to tell you it's a bunch of crap. I've read too many of these recommendations that are nothing but a pack of lies. When some of the most evil and vile creatures that ever crawled out of the muck get a glowing recommendation like they're some kind of Workplace Messiah, the whole Network is forever tainted. And I know these people; they're morally-bankrupt monsters. Yet on LinkedIn, they are the most well-respected, creative and hardworking visionaries ever to set foot in the professional workplace. Gads.

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard Jennings said...

If you want a job try a job site, here's two new job sites added to About.com's top ten list:

http://www.realmatch.com
http://www.indeed.com

God luck

8/10/2008 9:59 AM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

Apparently you simply read the headline and not the blog entry. I'm not looking for a job, merely commenting on the inaneness of the Recommendation feature of LinkedIn. I'm using LinkedIn only for keeping in touch with colleagues past and present.

8/10/2008 12:29 PM  
Blogger FJ said...

Good work, Marc. I'm sure you're talking about TC here?? :) But seriously, job networking sites are going the way of Wikipedia: idiots making recommendations and edits to profiles (or articles, if you prefer) where minority opinions or inconvenient facts getting left by the wayside. It's terrible, and even though I'm a cubicle-dwelling monkey & have been for the last 7 years, I have not given in to the temptation to be part of one of these "social" or "professional" networks. I keep my social networking site profiles entirely private and only approve close friends, etc. and I never use my real name. I don't need my personal info out there for anyone to grab, and it's surprising how many people are oblivious to the dangers of that.

8/12/2008 8:06 AM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

I'm only out there for two reasons; first to improve my web presence, and two because I change jobs (in advertising) about every four years, I've worked in three different states and I have colleagues/peers all over the country. It's a good way to let some people know I'm still alive.

Oh, and I'm not necessarily talking about TC alone. There are many (hence my rant).

8/13/2008 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home