Saturday, September 11, 2010

Snart Central

Okay, here's where everything stands...

- the move is complete except all of the unpacking, setup and getting settled - that'll take a few months. As an aside, moving in general sucks, and I've done it twice in the last six months. Not that I have a lot of stuff, but what little I do have is heavy as hell.

- I've got a new home page completed but not ready to post yet. I've got a new shopping cart almost completed so I can start selling books again. When that's done and tested, it'll go live. Both will work on desktop browsers and the iPad.

- I'm still trying to resolve what to do about the ebooks, and there are many things to consider:
- what format? ePUB, PDF, CBR? Some other?
- how are they downloaded? Through iTunes, Comixology or my own app?
- what if they were cloud-based? Users wouldn't have to worry about formats or platforms but (1) the user wouldn't "have" anything and (2) it could mean a lot of bandwidth. File size would be critical.
- finally, should the ebooks be in black & white or color? I'm definitely leaning towards either color or maybe black & white but with greys. Black & white alone just doesn't work as well on a monitor as it does in print. Also looking into giving the areas of color a halftone screen effect (moires and all). This seems to create a "texture" to the color and on a monitor, helps the eye focus and see the image better (or so I think). I also think it creates a cool and nostalgic look. File sizes are a consideration, so we'll see after some testing.

I'm kind of leaning towards offering the books free online (maybe iPad only), but also make a downloadable PDF available for a nominal sum. I've given up on the ePUB format for comics - especially when a simple web app can handle the viewing so much better. PDF seems to have the most advantages. These'll be sold in my store but I may also sell a book or two through iTunes just to see how it goes.

I'm also working on a web app designed for the iPad to view comics. It'll have some of the same functionality as other comics viewers like Comixology's. If anyone's interested, let me know.

And lastly, once I can get the new site online, I'll start in on the next issue of Snart. I've got it all written, so it just needs to be drawn. Whew, I'm tired. Oh, yeah, the hops are still on the vine and doing awesome. As soon as I catch my breath, I'll make beer!

3 Comments:

Blogger jonesenstein said...

How are you able to sell comics on iTunes?

9/11/2010 9:31 PM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

You can sign up with Apple to produce your own ebooks and sell them through the iBook Store. For more info, start here.

9/12/2010 6:37 AM  
Blogger FJ said...

Thanks for this very welcome update. Glad to hear things are still going well...ouch, two moves in the same year, let alone six months!

9/13/2010 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home