Friday, January 28, 2011

Improve Your Next Beer

From the Straight Dope: "After three hours of sun exposure there was no significant difference among the beers, although both testers rated the control beer the least palatable. Which isn’t so odd — some research suggests exceedingly small amounts of MBT can improve beer flavor." >>more

This reaffirms a supposition I had. After pouring, I would let my beer sit in the sun for about 5 minutes to improve the hops aroma. I didn't know what the exact chemical reaction that was taking place, but one was occurring and it improved the flavor - especially for a highly hopped brew. Suggested by the SD article that if was the release of MBT. Obviously, the more is not better - 5 minutes worked for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Pictures?

1/31/2011 9:45 PM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

Of what?

2/01/2011 6:29 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Oh, my bad. I thought you were in the middle of making a new batch of beer, and I wanted to see some pics of what it looked like.

I've been thinking about making my own beer, but I don't really have the space or the cash....tis' the life a student.

2/01/2011 10:34 AM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

Ah. No beer yet, but will definitely post pics when the new system is up and running. Do some research, there are cheaper routes - ie: do an extract beer with the most basic starters brewing kit. You could probably make your first beer for $100 (or less if you have some of the stuff already) - that's what I did (just to see if it was worth doing). There are even ways to make beer using a coffee maker. Here's a good site.

2/01/2011 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home