Friday, March 18, 2011

Weird Melvin Ebook

The next ebook, Weird Melvin: The Comic Book Collection, will be a digital edition of the trade paperback published by NOW 3.0 in 2004, which reprinted the comic book series I published in 1995 (plus the unpublished sixth issue). Mindful of fan feedback, the digital edition will not only be colored (for the first time) but will also be relettered. Originally, I had lettered those books using the Whizbang font instead of lettering by hand because it was faster. This was before I had created a custom font based on my own hand lettering. The main complaint (feedback) was that readers thought my lettering style was better or at least went better with my style of art, which I agree. See below; top is the original using the Whizbang font, and bottom is using my own custom font.
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Was creating Weird Melvin in black & white intentional? I'm really curious to see what it will look like in color. I always thought the black & white fortified the story even more...very much akin to the sci-fi comics of a time far before I was born.

I was surprised to see that there was a 6th Weird Melvin issue. I never knew about.

3/22/2011 2:28 PM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

Creating WM in BW was intentional. I think the problem with BW is that they don't lend themselve as well to ebooks - color shouldn't hurt either (just look at the covers of WM). The 6th issue of WM was never published due to the BW bubble burst in 1995.

3/22/2011 3:07 PM  
Blogger Miserable Dreamer said...

Man, I love this black and white stuff. Maybe it's 'cause I'm colorblind but the B&W comics always have more impact than the color stuff.

The custom font works better than the WhizBang font. Lettering my own stuff, I always struggle with finding a decent font. Your custom font looks just like you hand-lettered it. Very nice!

3/27/2011 1:32 PM  
Blogger Marc Hansen said...

My approach to coloring a comic originally published as black &white is different; using lighter, less saturated colors seems to help. Agreed on the font - it fits my style of art better than the slick "Marvel style" of lettering. just look at my Captain Danger stories I drew in Lawdog #8-9 (#8 was lettered by a Marvel dude and #9 by myself).

3/27/2011 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home